Tips for Diversifying Images in Presentations and Names in Exam Questions

sue_frantz
Expert
Expert
0 0 2,290

Susan Nolan, presenting at the Northwest Conference on Teaching Introductory Psychology, offered some suggestions on diversifying the images in your presentations ā€“ and Iā€™d add diversifying name used in your exam questions ā€“ to ensure that all students see people and names that are both familiar to them and not familiar to them. I teach on a diverse campus where our students or their parents have come from all over the world. I use my studentsā€™ names in exam questions. Last term, I had one student, as she handed in her exam with a big grin said, ā€œThis is the first time Iā€™ve ever seen my name on an exam!ā€

Nolan suggested visiting Wikipediaā€™s most common surnames page. Choose a name, and then, if youā€™re looking for a photo to use on a presentation slide, search that name in Google images. Be sure to click on ā€œsearch toolsā€ and then under ā€œusage rights,ā€ choose ā€œlabeled for noncommercial reuse.ā€

Alternatively, you can use a fake name generator, like, well, FakeNameGenerator.com. Choose the gender youā€™d like or leave it set to random. Choose your ā€œname set,ā€ such as ā€œArabic.ā€ Click ā€œGenerate.ā€ When I just ran it for Arabic, it generated Hafsah Yakootah Khouri. I can use that name in an exam question, or I can do a Google Images search for an image I can use on a presentation slide. Again, be sure to click on ā€œsearch toolsā€ and then under ā€œusage rights,ā€ choose ā€œlabeled for noncommercial reuse.ā€

Do you give your students case studies of fictional people? Fake Name Generator is a terrific site for creating a fake person. Not only does it generate names, it will generate an entire fake identify, including address (thatā€™s what the ā€œcountryā€ field is for), phone number, birthday, MasterCard number, occupation and company, height, weight, blood type, favorite color.

Tags (2)
About the Author
Sue Frantz has taught psychology since 1992. She has served on several APA boards and committees, and was proud to serve the members of the Society for the Teaching of Psychology as their 2018 president. In 2013, she was the inaugural recipient of the APA award for Excellence in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at a Two-Year College or Campus. She received in 2016 the highest award for the teaching of psychology--the Charles L. Brewer Distinguished Teaching of Psychology Award. She presents nationally and internationally on the topics of educational technology and the pedagogy of psychology. She is co-author with Doug Bernstein and Steve Chew of Teaching Psychology: A Step-by-Step Guide, 3rd ed. and is co-author with Charles Stangor on Introduction to Psychology, 4.0.