The Life & Legacy of Bob Worth

susan_winslow
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 972

It is with a heavy heart that I share the sad news that a dear friend to many of us at Macmillan Learning and the founder of Worth Publishers has passed away. Robert (Bob) Worth was 92 and was surrounded by his family and his wife, Blaikie. 

A visionary leader, Bob founded Worth Publishers in 1966 with a unique philosophy: to create textbooks in only a few select subjects while ensuring they were of the highest quality available. The initial books were painstakingly researched, developed, and tested and the resulting titles had a profound impact in biology (Helena Curtis), psychology (David Myers and Kathleen Berger), sociology (Ian Robertson), and economics (Greg Mankiw and Paul Krugman). That unflinching focus on quality and on authorship still drives our company today. His contributions to our company and our industry, as well as his impact on the entire education community, cannot be overstated.

Bob had an uncanny eye for talent and how to shape an author’s vision and teaching talent into course-defining products. He signed and nurtured relationships with many of educational publishers’ best-selling writers and industry thought leaders. In fact, Bob’s “commitment to excellence” is among the key reasons Dave Myers has noted that he joined Worth Publishers versus a competitor.

Bob was one of the educational community greats. I have long been moved by his passion, empathy and deep commitment to advancing students’ learning that goes beyond words. As a young person entering this industry, he was an inspiration to me. He saw that things could be better and he set out to make a difference. His strong relationships with his authors, his friends, fueled his ability to change the face of education. That’s the heritage he leaves us. It’s an honor that we take forward and it is a legacy we are committed to protect. 

On behalf of the entire company, I extend our deepest condolences to Bob’s wife, Blaikie, and his family and loved ones. While we mourn his loss, we also celebrate his life and we will continue to honor his memory by carrying on the work he began. 

Sincerely,
Susan Winslow