Hurricanes, Homework, and Heart: Supporting Students Through the Aftermath of Helene

MarisaBluestone
Community Manager
Community Manager
1 0 1,321

I remember Hurricane Andrew as if it were yesterday. It struck the week before my first day of High School in Miami, Florida. My family was convinced that it wouldn’t hit, and if it did it would be no big deal. After all, Florida has had no shortage of hurricanes.

But this was my first. I worried about the tchotchkes around the house, my friends, my school year—small things that felt enormous at the time. And it turns out, my worries weren’t unfounded. The dirty side of the storm hit us hard, and the Category 5 winds made their way into our home, tearing through the front doors and ripping up the roof. In the aftermath, we were displaced from the city for a week and from our home for nearly a year. 

We learned that school would start a few weeks late through the print edition of the Miami Herald, but weren’t sure about what the school year would look like. Many of us were without power for weeks after school started. While much has changed since then (like building codes and daily delivery of a print newspaper) so much about the human experience has not.

Over the past week, Hurricane Helene has left a similar trail of destruction across Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas, dumping unprecedented amounts of rain in its wake. Many students and educators are now facing the same uncertainty I felt back then. Beyond the physical damage, lives are disrupted—daily routines are turned upside down, and fear for loved ones’ safety lingers long after the storm has passed. When you’re without power, water, or basic services, your focus should be on being ok, not upcoming assignments.

Supporting students through this time means more than just addressing the logistical challenges. It’s about empathy and understanding the emotional toll a disaster like this takes on everyone. Whether it's offering flexibility, emotional support, or practical solutions, there are actions that can benefit both students and teachers during this period of recovery. Here are some to consider that I know I would have benefitted from.

Maintain Open Lines of Communication: Communication has come a long way since the early '90s, but after a hurricane, it can still be a challenge. Regular check-ins through email, text, or learning management systems can help reassure students that they’re not alone. Even a brief message about class schedules or available resources can bring much-needed stability to their disrupted lives.

Be Flexible with Deadlines: Many students will face power outages, unreliable internet, and even displacement from their homes. Offering flexible deadlines, alternative submission methods, or extending grace periods can help ease the burden of trying to keep up with schoolwork during such a stressful time.

Provide Clear Instructions for Make-Up Work: Offer clear steps for how students can catch up when they’re ready. Having a plan laid out can make the process less overwhelming.

Support Mental Health: There is a well-established link between mental health and student success. Anxiety, depression, or going through trauma (like, you know a hurricane) can significantly impact a student's ability to focus, retain information, and stay motivated. In the classroom, acknowledge the mental and emotional strain they’re under, and consider incorporating practices like mindfulness or simple check-ins with iClicker polls to create a space where they feel heard and supported. You can help by encouraging students to access the mental health resources available to them, whether through your school or campus counseling services or community support groups. 

Adapt Learning Materials: If possible, provide learning materials that can be accessed offline or shared in multiple formats. Students may have lost access to print materials, or may be without power and not able to get online to read their course materials or access assessments.  

Create a Supportive Learning Environment: Foster a sense of community among students by encouraging peer support and group work. Students may find comfort in connecting with others who are facing similar challenges, and working together can help them stay on track. Also consider opening a space for students to share their experiences. Sometimes just being heard can help.

Offer Clear Guidance on Priorities: During the chaos of recovery, students may not know where to focus their efforts. Consider offering guidance on what is most essential and what can be put off until things settle. Clarity and understanding go a long way in helping students manage their stress levels.

Much has changed since the 1990s when there were no cell phones and rarely anyone had a computer, let alone internet. But what hasn’t is students' resilience, their desire to do their best in class. When your world is turned upside down, literally and figuratively, it’s amazing just how far a little understanding and empathy goes. By fostering connection, offering flexibility, and understanding the emotional toll of events like Hurricane Helene, we can help students recover in every sense, ensuring they have the support they need to succeed when they’re ready.

Tags (2)