On Stonewall Anniversary, Macmillan Learning Reaffirms Support of LGBTQIA+ Community

Chuck_Linsmeier
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 185

Every June, we celebrate Pride Month in the United States (and elsewhere), and many of us reflect on the moments that have shaped the struggle for civil rights in the LGBTQIA+ community. It has been a journey with moments of heartbreak, celebration, social change, and cultural revolution. As I make my way from Grand Central to our offices in lower Manhattan, my first thoughts mark another anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising (1969), of how Greenwich Village became the stage for daily protests in response to an early morning police raid on the Stonewall Inn that ignited a global movement for LGBTQIA+ rights. The Stonewall Uprising became a pivotal moment in the fight for LGBTQIA+ rights, symbolizing courage, resilience, and an enduring struggle for equality. 

I also have in mind a Saturday in June 2011. I had spent a few hours that morning at our New York office near Madison Square Park when I decided to leave the office to head across the park to see the parade coming down Broadway. In the days preceding the NYC Pride Parade in 2011, the governor of New York had signed into law the Marriage Equality Act, legally recognizing same sex marriage in the state. 

As I watched the crowds on the streets, the parade marchers advancing down Broadway, equality flags waving in the air – the simple yet powerful design: blue field framing a yellow equal sign – I was struck by a feeling. This moment, and other moments like this one, is what struggle can look like when it turns into joy. Equality, measured not just by the passing of a law, but in the faces and expressions of those passing by, some perhaps feeling it for the first time. 

Reflecting on these events invites us to reaffirm our commitment to championing equal rights, and value diversity and inclusion within our workforce and through our business practices. It compels us to ensure that we are actively fostering a more equitable society.

As a learning company, we are anchored in the belief of the transformative power of learning. This commitment and responsibility lives in our mission: to inspire what’s possible for every learner. We work with intention to create educational products that resonate with the diverse populations of students we serve. The intrinsic benefits of diverse and inclusive educational environments inspire our research, product development, and pedagogical strategies. We are unwavering in our commitment to developing materials where every student feels represented and supported, irrespective of their background or identity.

We understand that student success is intricately linked to a sense of belonging. When students see themselves reflected in their learning materials, they are more likely to engage deeply and thrive academically. Representation matters; it fosters a learning environment where students feel validated and empowered to reach their full potential. No student should have to adopt a specific political or cultural point of view to succeed in the classroom, but every learner deserves an education that respects and acknowledges their identity.

Inclusion drives innovation and creativity, qualities that are essential for educational excellence. Our commitment to diverse learners and inclusive learning environments is not just a corporate value—it is a guidepost critical to who we are and what we strive to achieve. Despite significant progress, discrimination and inequality persist. We see this in various forms, including attempts to silence marginalized communities through censorship. 

As we celebrate Pride Month, we stand alongside all of our employees, customers, and partners—no matter their gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Inclusion is a choice we make every day. Macmillan Learning remains dedicated to creating a world where every learner feels seen, supported, and inspired. We envision a world in which every learner succeeds and we believe we play an important role in making that possibility a reality. 

Tags (2)