cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Symphonie
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee

Re: Connecting with Students in a Noisy World

Even before this attention economy forced educators into competition with social media apps, streaming services, and 24-hour news cycles, connecting with students and maintaining their interest in courses were challenging enough already. As a student, I remember feeling overwhelming moments of complete disinterest and ambivalence, even in courses I had been looking forward to for semesters with professors I cherished. It was like everything else in my personal life and in the world could and should take priority over school. When I had my first position as a teaching assistant in 2013 and the shoe was on the other foot I was at a loss for what to do. 

It’s been several years since I was a student or a TA but I still frequently hear about the challenges of connecting with students in such a noisy world. So, I’m wondering, what success have you all found in connecting and getting through to your students? What advice can you share with your fellow educators?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jarvis69
New Contributor
New Contributor

Talkative students and loud classrooms challenge all teachers at some point, especially when disruptive or clowning behaviors are present. DNA HRBlock

0 Kudos
jemasfoster
New Contributor
New Contributor

Setting the tone for the class will give the students the structure they need to focus and learn, set aside a few minutes to remind the class how they should enter the classroom. If they enter a calm and quiet classroom, it will set the tone and encourage them to keep to that noise level throughout the lesson. Iraqi Dinar Guru

0 Kudos