Exploring the eBook in LaunchPad

tfcjake22
Expert
Expert
0 7 30.3K

It is important not to forget that a main part of student learning takes place from actually reading the textbook - whether this textbook is either a traditional hardcover book or, with regard to what we will be talking about, an online version of the text. As a result, it is exceedingly necessary that an educator choose a text that is conducive to their own pedagogical values. What's more, given the increasingly online nature of higher education and content delivery, picking a text that excels in both of these areas may also be high on the priority list for instructors looking for a classroom textbook. 

The eBook in LaunchPad does just that: it provides an integrative and immersive experience for student and educator alike. In what follows, I am hoping to show you some of the features of the LaunchPad eBook that I have utilized in my courses. But first, you will see below, that I have highlighted how to access the eBook from the main screen within the LaunchPad system. It is always displayed in the left tab menu for easy access. Let's check out "Chapter 1" and see what happens...

153425_1.jpg

Educators that have used LaunchPad in the past will be familiar with the drop down menu that breaks the chapter into various themes and sections. The eBook is organized in the same way. As such, it becomes easy to navigate because the student or instructor can topically navigate through the content, as opposed to having to thumb through the pages as is the case with a traditional textbook. 

153426_2.jpg

Within the actual eBook, you will see a couple of things I have highlighted in yellow below. First, I wanted to point out that the eBook in LaunchPad will always display the page number that corresponds to the material 'brick-and-mortar' textbook. This is especially helpful if you have a mixed bag of students, some of which may be using the eBook and others a traditional textbook. What's more, in terms of standard citation practices, I have found that having this page number easily allows students to cite the eBook using various scholarly formats - for example, APA or MLA. This way, there is no confusion, which is generally the case when citing an eBook or an online source.

I also wanted to show you how there is interactive media content integrated directly into the eBook. For example, you will see that the yellow arrow shows a video clip that students can play from within the actual eBook - not having to jump back and forth between the book and some other place within the LMS platform. 

153427_3.jpg

In the screenshot below, there are several items which I have noted. Looking at the text that I highlighted, you will see that the instructor can add notes directly into the eBook, and these notes can be viewable by the entire class or made private, accessible exclusively to the instructor. You may also see that I can add a note to the highlighted material (more on this later). 

Next, the circle in the upper right hand corner will draw your attention to additional notation features. For instance, you may add a general note to the top of this eBook page, you can clear all of your highlighting, or you can delete all of your notes. This allows for the ability to master edit this section of the eBook. Finally, I also wanted to highlight how the "Read On" button at the bottom of the page allows students to seamlessly continue learning and reading, right into the next section. In other words, there is no skipping back and forth between different screens or apps, giving both educator and student an environment that is similar, if not better, than a 'normal' reading context.

153428_4.jpg

Returning to the highlighting feature I mentioned earlier, you will see that once I select to actually highlight the text it will turn yellow. I have also, in the example below, selected to add a note to that particular highlighted material. The note, again, can be made viewable students or retained just for instructor notation. I have found this feature helpful when I have wanted to draw attention to a certain concept that the class may be using in a term paper or in that week's discussion post. 

153429_5.jpg

All in all, I have tried to give an overview of the eBook that is integrated within the LaunchPad system - highlighting, along the way, the quality of integration, between media and text, as well as the ability to pedagogically insert your own values as an educator directly into the eBook. As a result, I hope I have gone to show that the eBook is another example of the great interactive tools that are a part of the LaunchPad suite!

7 Comments
trose4
Migrated Account

I have the Griffith's Genetics 11th Edition LaunchPad and there are no page numbers displayed in my eBook as is shown here. My professor said we could just get the eBook, but assigns readings and problems based only on page numbers from the material textbook. I have no way to tell in my eBook what sections correspond to the pages he is referring to. Is there any way for me to see the page numbers from the actual book in the eBook sections?

kasey_rubenstei
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee

Hi Taylor Rose‌,

You may benefit from downloading the offline e-book for this text. The offline reader will allow you to jump to a certain page number of your e-book.

Sincerely, 

Kasey

trose4
Migrated Account

Kasey R‌, 

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. However, I already tried downloading my offline e-book and two completely different textbooks that are not the one I purchased LaunchPad for were downloaded instead. I don't understand what the problem is and I am frustrated to have paid for this and not been able to use it.

kasey_rubenstei
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee

Hi again Taylor Rose‌,

I apologize for the issue downloading the e-book. This is a known issue with this new feature of LaunchPad that is affecting some users. 

My next recommendation would be to contact your instructor and ask him if he can include chapter and section numbers when he is assigning required reading.

Sincerely,

Kasey

a_gee
Migrated Account

I am experiencing the same problem as Taylor. My instructor assigned specific pages to his readings and assignments but there is no page number on the e-book. I've opened a case to have a downloaded version so I can reference the page number, but it is ridiculous students have to do this. I don't understand why it is so difficult to have a page number!

lynette_ledoux
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee

Hi ‌,

Thank you for your feedback. I will inform our Editorial team that you and others would prefer to have page numbers in the LaunchPad e-book to make navigation easier.

All the best,

Lynette

ztrautman
Migrated Account

It has been two years since the other comments. Why are there still no page numbers?