The Need for Narrative Justice

andrea_lunsford
2 5 5,328

340515_books-1245690_1280.jpg

In 1994, Anne Haas Dyson and Celia Genishi published a collection that made a big impression on me. The Need for Story: Cultural Diversity in Classroom and Community demonstrated how important stories are in helping us to understand the world and ourselves in it—a need that, they argued convincingly, is universal. At the time, I was very glad to see that the old traditional “modes of discourse” (argumentation, exposition, description, and narration) had been displaced in writing curricula, especially since they “bled” into each other constantly. Moreover, I thought then, and do even more so today, that narrative can play a part in all discourse, from memoirs to business reports. And I began tracking the use of narrative in discourses that had traditionally been thought of as outside the “academic” discourse taught in most writing classes, particularly those of African American, Latinx, and Native American traditions.

So I’ve been thinking about narrative, and the power of narrative, for a long time. But in the last 18 months or so, I’ve grown more and more concerned about the use of stories to spread misinformation, distortions, and even lies. In a 2009 Ted Talk, Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie pointed out “The Danger of a Single Story”—what happens when whole groups of rich, complex people are reduced to a single narrative. Adichie says that it’s fairly simple to create such a single story: just “show people as one thing and one thing only, over and over again, and that is what they will become.” Adichie notes that stories are enmeshed in structures of power, that how they are told, when they are told, how many are told are all dependent on power, and “the ultimate power is to tell the story of another person—but to make it THE definitive story of that person.” And I would add “of that people” or “of that culture.”

Such stories surround us today: “immigrants are rapists and animals”; “guns don’t kill people”; “climate change is a hoax.” You can fill in the blanks with dozens of other stories that are repeated with stunning and mind-numbing regularity, even though they are demonstrably untrue.

So when I had the amazing opportunity to address the Rhetoric Society of America on its 50th anniversary last week in Minneapolis, I spoke of the need to examine and challenge narratives and stories that crush dreams, choke freedoms, and leave people voiceless and instead to pursue what I am calling narrative justice, because it occurs to me that our efforts to achieve social justice cannot advance when people are trapped, silenced, and demeaned by stories that simply will never allow for it.

I believe that teachers of writing are in a perfect position to foster the work of narrative justice, first by guiding students in identifying and understanding dangerous “single stories,” then analyzing and critiquing them. And we can go the next step as well, guiding students in creating alternative narratives that do justice to the truths of lived experience and that reflect their deepest values, their best sense of self, their vision of a just society. That’s a tall order for sure, but it’s also one that writing teachers are already working to fill. In this time which some call “post-truth” and others “a tower of lies,” doing so is our privilege and our responsibility.

I’m hoping to make my talk available on the web soon, for anyone interested.

Image Credit: Pixabay Image 1245690 by Free-Photos, used under a CC0 Creative Commons License

5 Comments
mrhodes2
Migrated Account

I'M interested!

Well saidthe ability to tell stories IS what makes us humanfor good (or

evil).

Thank you--

Lane Rhodes

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:03 AM, andrea.lunsford <

allisonh
Migrated Account

I'm interested.

On Thursday, June 7, 2018, 7:35:59 PM GMT+5:30, andrea.lunsford <community.support@macmillan.com> wrote:

#yiv3698369918 * #yiv3698369918 a #yiv3698369918 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv3698369918 #yiv3698369918 h1, #yiv3698369918 h2, #yiv3698369918 h3, #yiv3698369918 h4, #yiv3698369918 h5, #yiv3698369918 h6, #yiv3698369918 p, #yiv3698369918 hr {}#yiv3698369918 .yiv3698369918button td {}

|

|

The Need for Narrative Justice

created by Andrea A. Lunsford in Bedford Bits - View the full blog post

https://community.macmillan.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/38-3916-340515/641-427/books-12456...

In 1994, Anne Haas Dyson and Celia Genishi published a collection that made a big impression on me. The Need for Story: Cultural Diversity in Classroom and Community demonstrated how important stories are in helping us to understand the world and ourselves in it—a need that, they argued convincingly, is universal. At the time, I was very glad to see that the old traditional “modes of discourse” (argumentation, exposition, description, and narration) had been displaced in writing curricula, especially since they “bled” into each other constantly. Moreover, I thought then, and do even more so today, that narrative can play a part in all discourse, from memoirs to business reports. And I began tracking the use of narrative in discourses that had traditionally been thought of as outside the “academic” discourse taught in most writing classes, particularly those of African American, Latinx, and Native American traditions.

So I’ve been thinking about narrative, and the power of narrative, for a long time. But in the last 18 months or so, I’ve grown more and more concerned about the use of stories to spread misinformation, distortions, and even lies. In a 2009 Ted Talk, Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie pointed out “The Danger of a Single Story”—what happens when whole groups of rich, complex people are reduced to a single narrative. Adichie says that it’s fairly simple to create such a single story: just “show people as one thing and one thing only, over and over again, and that is what they will become.” Adichie notes that stories are enmeshed in structures of power, that how they are told, when they are told, how many are told are all dependent on power, and “the ultimate power is to tell the story of another person—but to make it THE definitive story of that person.” And I would add “of that people” or “of that culture.”

Such stories surround us today: “immigrants are rapists and animals”; “guns don’t kill people”; “climate change is a hoax.” You can fill in the blanks with dozens of other stories that are repeated with stunning and mind-numbing regularity, even though they are demonstrably untrue.

So when I had the amazing opportunity to address the Rhetoric Society of America on its 50th anniversary last week in Minneapolis, I spoke of the need to examine and challenge narratives and stories that crush dreams, choke freedoms, and leave people voiceless and instead to pursue what I am calling narrative justice, because it occurs to me that our efforts to achieve social justice cannot advance when people are trapped, silenced, and demeaned by stories that simply will never allow for it.

I believe that teachers of writing are in a perfect position to foster the work of narrative justice, first by guiding students in identifying and understanding dangerous “single stories,” then analyzing and critiquing them. And we can go the next step as well, guiding students in creating alternative narratives that do justice to the truths of lived experience and that reflect their deepest values, their best sense of self, their vision of a just society. That’s a tall order for sure, but it’s also one that writing teachers are already working to fill. In this time which some call “post-truth” and others “a tower of lies,” doing so is our privilege and our responsibility.

I’m hoping to make my talk available on the web soon, for anyone interested.

Image Credit: Pixabay Image 1245690 by Free-Photos, used under a CC0 Creative Commons License

Comment by replying to this email, or go to the blog post on The Macmillan Community

Following Bedford Bits in these streams: English News

This email was sent by Macmillan Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Macmillan Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

pemerson
Migrated Account

Adichie's TED Talk should be a staple in writing classes for college students.  An example of this narrative that gets less play but addresses what you are talking about here, narrative justice and its power to broaden our limited perspectives, is Mia Birdsong's "The Story We Tell about Poverty Isn't True."  There are so many stories that will work to counter oppressive stereotypes; it is the writing community's responsibility to seek them out, those that have already been written, and to encourage their creation by students.  If nothing else, we can look at ourselves through the stories we tell. #narrative justice #true-for-you stories Andrea A. Lunsford

andrea_lunsford

I hope my talk will be available on the RSA website soon! If not, I'll post it. Thank you!

andrea_lunsford

Thanks so much for this tip; I will take a look at Birdsong's piece right away!

About the Author
I am a veteran teacher who has been teaching consistently for thirty-eight years. I began teaching in Alaska on the Bering Sea coast in an Eskimo village, and my Alaskan bush experience included teaching in a four teacher K-12 school in Prince William Sound. When I retired from the state of Alaska, my husband and I went abroad to teach in international schools around the world. This includes large and small schools in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Chile, Mali (West Africa), Qatar, and Venezuela. I have taught both AP Language and Composition and the IB Language and Literature course. I enjoy teaching writing and am very interested in keeping up with current practice.