Fallacies of Argument: I am stumped!

JEM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all!

I cannot figure out the answers to "Respond 1, Assess each of the following (mostly political) slogans or phrases. Which have logical fallacies — and what kind" (p. 94 of ebook).  

By "logical fallacies," do the instructions refer to Fallacies of Argument (pathos, logos, ethos) or are they asking us to focus only on fallacies of logical argument?

My whole class and I put our heads together, but we are not satisfied with our conclusions.  Has anyone else tried this assignment with their classes?

Thanks y'all!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

katherine561
New Contributor
New Contributor

The term "logical fallacies" generally refers to errors in reasoning that undermine the validity of an argument, focusing on flaws in the logical structure rather than emotional or ethical appeals. CatNeedsBest For the assignment, you should identify logical fallacies in political slogans or phrases, such as ad hominem attacks or strawman arguments. If unsure, seek clarification from your instructor or explore resources on logical fallacies for guidance. While analyzing slogans, consider common fallacies in argumentation, and remember that interpretations might vary, prompting discussion within your class.

0 Kudos

victormccormick
New Contributor
New Contributor

I understand that you're feeling stuck and unsure about fallacies of argument. Don't worry, I'm here to help! Fallacies are common errors in reasoning that can weaken an argument. Some examples include ad hominem attacks, straw man arguments, and false cause fallacies. It's important to identify these fallacies to strengthen your own arguments and to recognize them in others' arguments. Take some time to study different types of fallacies and practice identifying them in real-life examples. Don't hesitate to ask for further clarification or examples if needed. TellPopeyes Survey

0 Kudos

Farleysvs
New Contributor
New Contributor

I understand your frustration with the assignment. It seems like the instructions are not clear on whether they are referring to fallacies of argument or fallacies of logical argument. It might be helpful to reach out to your instructor for clarification. As for other students who have tried this assignment, I'm not sure if anyone else has attempted it. Maybe you can ask your classmates or post in a discussion forum to see if anyone has any insights. ZaxbysListens

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Fallacies of Argument: I am stumped!

JEM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi all!

I cannot figure out the answers to "Respond 1, Assess each of the following (mostly political) slogans or phrases. Which have logical fallacies — and what kind" (p. 94 of ebook).  

By "logical fallacies," do the instructions refer to Fallacies of Argument (pathos, logos, ethos) or are they asking us to focus only on fallacies of logical argument?

My whole class and I put our heads together, but we are not satisfied with our conclusions.  Has anyone else tried this assignment with their classes?

Thanks y'all!

0 Kudos