cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dorit Dahan Ellenbogen | From Cult to Classroom, One Can Always Rise Above Their Difficulties

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 2,874
Dorit Dahan-Ellenbogen What drives me to #AchieveMore is having a late start in life which motivates me to work hard in order to accomplish myself.
From the cult to the classroom tells the story of some crazy years in my life, 17 years to be exact. Years I have dedicated fully to an organization and a cause which at the end of it turned out to be a sham. At 35 years old I found myself broken, needing to start over, from earning an education and a career to getting my entire life back in order. It's a process of trial and error, I am still in the midst of it, but I committed to reaching happiness and accomplishment in my life.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

An innocent attempt to understand life ended as a regrettable journey. The first 17 years of my adult life were stolen by a cult. I started my life over at 35 years old determined to live consciously and work hard to achieve my goals, career and become the person I want to be. At 18 years old I joined a not-for-profit organization, run by a charismatic leader. The teachings had an excellent blend of spirituality, new age and science, focused on life's meaning and bettering the world. It was everything I was looking for. As full-time volunteers, we worked 100 hours a week, without getting paid. Dedicating ourselves entirely we put our personal needs aside, including higher education, believing our work is making the world a better place.

17 years later the leader turned out to be a charlatan, his teachings were nothing but good marketing. We gave up everything we owned, our goals and aspirations, and unknowingly our identities. Without any means, we needed to start over, support ourselves, and find a place in the big world. We were broken and freighted. At 36 years old I started taking college classes for the first time in my life. I feel like a baby who can't sleep from the excitement of making his first step. I am gifting myself with higher education to reconnect with my interests and identity, and to develop a career through which I can achieve a sense of accomplishment and better the world. Starting this process late is my biggest challenge and my biggest motivator at the same time. Today, as I am completing my first creative writing class, I am working hard to draw a road map to help others who might find themselves in similar cultish groups as I did.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)