What We've Learned: Community Building in Zoom

cari_goldfine
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
1 2 993

In today's "What We've Learned" video, April Lidinsky (@april_lidinsky), one of the authors of From Inquiry to Academic Writing: A Text and Reader, emphasizes the importance of community-building in composition classrooms, and offers strategies for creating a sense of community in synchronous remote classes using Zoom.

2 Comments
Michelle_Clark
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee

April, I love the Q of the day strategy for low-stakes community building. Thanks for sharing! And "panic pivot" will definitely be part of my COVID-era vocabulary. Indeed.

april_lidinsky

Glad to hear this is of use! I have learned so much from my colleagues; we really are our best resources.  And may we put "panic pivot" into the 2020 Phrase Dustbin at our soonest opportunity! 

About the Author
April Lidinsky (PhD, Literatures in English, Rutgers) is Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies at Indiana University South Bend. She has published and delivered numerous conference papers on writing pedagogy, women's autobiography, and creative nonfiction, and has contributed to several textbooks on writing. She has served as acting director of the University Writing Program at Notre Dame and has won several awards for her teaching and research including the 2015 Indiana University South Bend Distinguished Teaching Award, the 2017 Indiana University South Bend Eldon F. Lundquist Award for excellence in teaching and scholarly achievement, and the All-Indiana University 2017 Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award for Teaching Excellence.