Voices

barclay_barrios
0 0 158
The first year, I just didn’t know. But of course we never know what we don’t know, ya know? My first time teaching ENC 6700 Introduction to Composition Theory and Methodology (the required seminar for our new Graduate Teaching Assistants) I blithely, blissfully, blindly led the class through some classic and foundational essays of the field, only to be blindsided by the final papers, all of which worked from the base assumption that the way we approached the teaching of writing at Florida Atlantic University was the way everyone approached the teaching of writing.I shouldn’t have been surprised. Even I still instinctively feel that the way I first learned to teach writing is somehow the “right” way.  No wonder these GTAs thought the same. So, the second time I taught the class I started with a simple assignment: research the writing program at another school, looking for philosophies, pedagogies, and syllabi.  It worked.  People brought in information from other local schools, from their alma maters, and even from big and heavy hitters.  And we all discovered something—things are different, writing programs are different, pedagogies are different, and there is no “right” way. It’s time for this blog to learn that lesson.  I’ve been writing from a very specific, very localized point of view.  It’s time to learn some new lessons through some new voices.  The next few posts will be authored by some stellar guest bloggers.  For me, it’s a chance to learn something new.  For you, I hope it’s that and a refreshing break from my particular voice. With that said, let the guest blogging begin! Erm… next week, that is…
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.