Twitter Me This

barclay_barrios
0 0 163
As I indicated in my last post, my assistant Mike Shier has developed what I think is a genius use of cell phones in the classroom. He has the entire class establish Twitter accounts and then follow everyone else in the class. What he ends up with is a super-mobile, super-light virtual classroom. Mike will ask students to Tweet questions about the new reading, offering a starting place for class discussion.  He’ll have them Tweet the arguments of their papers for quick, mass-class peer feedback.  He’ll have them Tweet the most persistent error students found while reading peer’s papers in peer review. I have to admit I’m envious that he thought this all up. Twitter is perfect: you don’t need a computer, just a cell phone that can text. The 140-character limit encourages conciseness. The whole system is simple to use. And students actually enjoy it. I’m going to be adopting this system for my class this summer. I find other systems, like Blackboard, clumsy, clunky, and cluttered. I’m ready for something lighter, smaller, easier. I’m ready for Twitter.
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.