Testing the Next Edition

barclay_barrios
0 0 100
The second edition of Emerging will be published in January. Given how early our semester starts (January 7—can you believe it?), it’s going to be tight, but fortunately Bedford/St,Martin's has agreed to help me out if needed and we can always start with one of the online readings (in the form of e-pages).I think it’s one of my favorite parts of teaching: designing a class, working out the assignments, thinking about the readings, tweaking the activities and pacing. In this I might be a tad bit weird; I imagine some of my colleagues just teach the same class again and again. But for me the intellectual labor of working out a class is the most thrilling part (commenting on student work being the least).How about you? Do you prefer to reuse the tried and true? Do you see your process as one of refinement, or do you do just restart each semester? Where’s the joy in a class for you — planning it, teaching it, or ending it?
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.