Pinteresting Idea

barclay_barrios
0 0 103
I’ve recently discovered Pinterest (pinterest.com), a virtual “pinboard” that allows users to post and share items from across the web.  I stumbled into it mostly because of my cult-like devotion to Crossfit and Paleo eating, but as I’ve come to play with it more I’ve wondered how it might be useful in the writing classroom. For certain, any kind of class involving web or visual design would allow students to use Pinterest to create inspiration boards.  Because users can follow boards, the class as a whole can follow each other, offering feedback through comments on particular “pins” while getting more inspiration themselves. I also think it might be interesting in a research based class.  The different boards could be used to organize different areas of a research topic and since so much research is web-based these days, students could organize their work through the Pinterest boards (and again, the class could follow, comment, and share). Hrm.  Pinteresting.  Perhaps something worth trying.
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.