One of those days

barclay_barrios
0 5 150
There are two kinds of unproductive days for me--the kind where I just don't want to do any work and the kind where work just don't wanna get done. And today has been one of those days, the kind where, no matter how much I try, things simply refuse to get done, thanks to distractions/minicrises/traffic/karma/the universe/inboxes/calls/meetings/LIFE. Ya see, I had this whole clever post planned about our security around and archiving of student work (as a salute to our server getting hacked Friday) but Bisters it's just not happening today. I have class in 45 minutes and I still need to nail down what all we're doing. So, a quickie... teaching always drains the juice right out of me. Here's how I recharge:
  • A diet coke (essential, since I get parched from all the talking in a classroom)
  • Time by myself (even if it's 5-10 minutes in my office)
  • TV or other activities that require ZERO thinking, speaking, or brain activity (if I am teaching late in the day and headed straight home)
  • A nap (geesh, I know that sounds decadent, but I loves me my afternoon naps)
  • Good music (my iPod is always near me)
Am I the only one who's wiped out after a class? I dunno. Maybe some people get energized. Me? I'll keep my diet coke and naps. Longer post tomorrow + reply to comments. Promise, promise.
5 Comments
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.