Commenting with Word: The Basics

barclay_barrios
0 1 236
These days I do all of my commenting and grading in Microsoft Word. My hand doesn’t cramp like it does when I put pen to paper. I also like how I am able to save paper and, more importantly, save each copy of a student’s work (in case I want to look back and see how a draft has changed). This image shows the different tools I use and how I use them.

feb23_reading_comments

Mainly I use the Comment feature, which allows me to make marginal comments.  I find this less intrusive to the student’s text. Occasionally I use Track Changes to make edits within a paper, but more often I use the Highlight feature to draw a student’s attention to some error that needs correcting; that way it remains up to the student to figure out what the error is and how to correct it. Track Changes does, however, allow me to make my end comments. How do you like to comment on student work?  Do you have any electronic tools you prefer?
1 Comment
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.