Behind the Textbook: Language Matters?

barclay_barrios
0 1 91
I mentioned in an earlier post the Language Matters questions that are included in Emerging. I guess I love these questions best because I never seem to have time to address issues of language and grammar in my classroom. So any issues always seem more pressing: understanding the reading, forming an argument/thesis, working with quotation, structuring organization—sometimes there just isn’t room for the apostrophe. I often feel pulled between competing pedagogical aims: teaching writing and teaching grammar. Do you know what I mean? How do you negotiate the two?
1 Comment
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.