WEBINAR: How Alzheimer’s Disease is Changing Normal Aging with Jason Karlawish

alanna_smith
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 0 928

A quiet revolution is transforming how we think about the aging brain. As decades of research into the diagnosis and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease is transforming clinical practice, the border between aging and disease is beginning to shift. Millions of persons once labelled as experiencing “normal aging” are either not normal, or they’re at risk of becoming abnormal. This talk, drawn from the presenter’s book The Problem of Alzheimer’s: How Science, Culture and Politics Turned a Rare Disease into a Crisis and What We Can Do About It explains this revolution and its consequences for an aging America. The focus is the intersecting stories of two seminal events: the discoveries of mild cognitive impairment and biomarkers of Alzheimer’s disease. Together, these discoveries have transformed how physicians define Alzheimer’s disease. They promise early diagnosis and treatment and also a strange mix of opportunities and threats to the identity, agency, and privacy of aging Americans.

About the Author
I have worked at Macmillan for 20 years and am currently on the digital marketing team. I love working working with media, finding new ways to connect with instructors and helping students succeed. In my free time I love to visit the beach, watch movies, read, write and bake (my weakness is sweet treats!).