Helping Students Succeed

becky_anderson
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 5,533

When we first started bringing students into Macmillan Learning’s Austin office (remember those days!) to give us their feedback on Achieve, we asked them all sorts of questions to help figure out how we were going to design and develop, and later, improve, Achieve. One thing that students told us over and over, regardless of school type or major, was that they needed more tools to help them succeed as students generally, outside of the course-specific content. 

With this information in mind, continuing to work with students and instructors, we’ve come up with a series of Goal-setting and Reflection Surveys.

What is the content? At the beginning of the semester, a new, optional Intro Survey asks students to consider their goals for the class and to think about how they plan to manage their time and learning strategies. Later, Checkpoint surveys get students to reflect on what's been working and what has not so that they can decide to make changes on their own. Each survey that students complete generates a report that gives instructors a bigger picture of how their class is doing beyond their grades.  While the surveys are most effective when used throughout the semester, it’s never too late to assign a Checkpoint survey to encourage self-reflection. (See below for sample reports.) 

Where can I find this content? Under the new Innovation Lab label in each Achieve course's Resources, you will find Achieve's new Goal-setting and Reflection Surveys, a series of short, assignable surveys that accomplish exactly what the name implies: goal-setting and self-reflection at key points across the semester.

What is the status of this project? This content is still a work in progress. We want instructors to use these surveys with their students this fall and then give us feedback on how things went, so we can continue to revise and improve this content. 

How can I get involved? All you need to do is assign the surveys and we will reach out to you with more information. 

What do the reports look like? Here are two sample screenshots to give you an idea. (They look great, I think!)  You can find the reports in an Innovation Lab tab in the Reports area of Achieve. 

becky_anderson_0-1601481030321.png

becky_anderson_1-1601481030348.png

About the Author
I've been working in publishing since 1997, doing everything from the front desk to marketing and sales, and a few things in between. And I love working working with media and helping students succeed.