cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steven Blodgett | Life's Trials Can Give You Perspective

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 34
Steven Blodgett The new perspective that I've gained in life from my experiences with bone cancer and as an amputee drive me to #AchieveMore.
The new perspective that I've gained in life from my experiences with bone cancer and as an amputee drive me to #AchieveMore.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

When I was nine years old, I was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. On the heels of this devastating diagnosis came nine months of intense treatment. My leg was amputated to stop the spread of the bone cancer and the harsh chemotherapy damaged my hearing; my life would never be the same. The scars of this harrowing time are etched upon my body, and my prosthetic leg and hearing aids serve as constant reminders of the trials I have endured. My experience with cancer gave me more than a broken body: it gave me perspective. It gave me empathy for others who are going through trials of their own. By forcing me to relearn how to walk and perform other tasks, it taught me how to be persistent. My hearing loss actually improved my communication skills by forcing me to truly listen to people, not just hear what they are saying. I learned to ski—on one leg—something that I had never tried before my amputation. Now I am an advanced skier and love to ski difficult runs with my friends. My experience with cancer taught me gratitude for each moment that I live.

These experiences and lessons have made me a better person and a better student. I embrace life to its fullest and have developed a grateful attitude. The gratitude for my life extends to school and learning; I have never taken schoolwork or my learning lightly. My hard-earned perspective will be a driving force throughout my life to enable me to make a positive impact on the lives of those I work with and serve in my career and family.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)