cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madelyn Peters | It's Important to Stop and Appreceate the Small Things

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 34
Madelyn Peters The people that laid the foundation of our future inspire me to help change the world.
The people that laid the foundation of our future inspire me to help change the world.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

My mother had me her sophomore year of college. In order to finish getting her education, I spent most of my time with my grandparents. My grandpa never had children of his own since he married my grandma after she already had children. My father was not in the picture, so in a way, my grandpa and I filled that hole we both had in our hearts. This allowed us to grow a very special bond. A few years back, my grandpa was diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's and was admitted into a nursing home specializing in patients just like him. As soon as I was able to drive, I began volunteering at the memory care. Here, I was able to really open my eyes and gain a new perspective on the gift of life.

Even though most of the patients have a hard time remembering me, I still have made amazing bonds with all of the patients there. One of my favorite residents there is Chris, as seen in the photo attached. It's people like Chris and my grandpa that keep me going. All it takes is a smile at them and they radiate positivity and happiness. I know I volunteer to help them, but in a way, they saved me. They taught me to appreciate the little things and to enjoy every second you are given on this earth.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)