cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Katherine Carnahan | Teaching Others Not Only Helps Me Achieve But Helps Others As Well

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 2,863
Katherine Carnahan After the birth of my twins I decided I needed some change in my life.
After the birth of my twins I decided I needed some change in my life.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

I am the mother of two adorable nineteen month old boys. Logan and Elliot were born two months early and needed to spend a month in the NICU hooked up to breathing machines and feeding tubes. Our delicate boys could not possibly go to daycare, so my husband stayed home while I continued at my 9-5 graphic design job for the first year of their lives. It was hard. Really hard. I missed a lot, plus the job that I had previously loved didn’t appreciate that I now had a higher priority than working as many hours as was necessary to meet our often unrealistic deadlines. Fortunately, I had another option. Since graduation, I had been teaching nights as an adjunct in the Visual Communication Design program I graduated from. It was my battery recharge. I have always been happiest in a classroom interacting with students. On a hard day I was consistently reminded why I loved design. It was an easy decision to make teaching my priority, and a decision that has changed my life for the better.

I am entering into the Masters of Marketing program at the University of Arizona so that I can be the strongest asset possible to the VCD program. I know design. Talk to me about that and I will speak with intelligence and confidence. I have never been as comfortable with the marketing aspect of the job. My students should be fully prepared for what the world will throw at them. As a designer, marketing is a big part of that. I know this additional expertise will be greatly beneficial to the program and my students. I look forward to transitioning to full-time professor knowing that this will also give me the flexibility to be an active part of my sons’ lives.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)