cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jessica Dennis | Taking Your Past and Molding it Into Greatness

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 49
Jessica Dennis I am driven to #achievemore simply because each time I enter my classroom, I see myself in each one of my students.
I am the grand-daughter of a woman who did not finish elementary school; the daughter of a high-school dropout. The oldest of six children who were not supposed to do anything but fail. But achieving more means taking the past in your hands and molding it into greatness.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

I am driven to #achievemore simply because each time I enter my classroom, I see myself in each one of my students. I am the girl whose parents could not afford to send her to a four-year university, so she had to start at a community college. I am the student who digs for quarters and dimes in the seats of the car to find enough change for a hamburger for lunch. I am the student who applies for financial aid each term and prays there is enough left over to buy textbooks. I worked two and three jobs through a bachelor's, then master's, and now, a PhD, because to #achievemore, you have to climb that mountain“ and boy, is it high.

I am driven to #achievemore each and every day because I will not be a statistic. I am the grand-daughter of a woman who did not finish elementary school; the daughter of a high-school dropout. The oldest of six children who were not supposed to do anything but fail. But achieving more means taking the past in your hands and molding it into greatness. There are going to be dark days along the way, and your past will come back and haunt you“ but you push through. Today, I share this story with my students: One by one, we pushed through. Two professors; one elementary educator; one biochemical engineer; one nuclear biologist; and one hell of a Marine. To do more, #achievemore, one must first realize that they ARE more. It is this philosophy I impart into my students each day. See that mountain? Don't climb it for anyone else. Set goals for yourself. You are worth the climb.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)