cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erin Steckler | Using My Role Model to Achieve More

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 54
Erin Steckler Despite the loss of my Mom, I did not let this stop me from becoming successful and maintaining a positive lifestyle.
Despite the loss of my Mom, I did not let this stop me from becoming successful and maintaining a positive lifestyle.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

My name is Erin Steckler, and I am a Sophomore at Rowan University. In June 2009, I lost my Mom to Splenic Marginal Zone Lymphoma. The loss was devastating, and it left my Dad with the full responsibility of raising four children all under the age of 10, managing a career, and providing for our household. Therefore, I spent a majority of my childhood helping to raise my siblings. Although the loss of my Mom provided financial and emotional challenges, I did not let this stop me from becoming successful and maintaining a positive lifestyle. Despite the loss of my Mom, my Dad created a memorable childhood experience, and I owe much of my success to him.

I know my Mom would be extremely proud of me, as I am following in her career footsteps, studying Elementary Education, English, and Special Education. My Dad is a single father of four, and he has taken the responsibility for financially supporting all four of his children in our college educations. Although I do not have the opportunity to live on campus, I commute to school and help my Dad out whenever needed. As a full-time college student, I also work as a part-time daycare teacher at Free To Be Me Preschool, helping me pay for my personal and college expenses. Despite the challenges which the loss of my Mom provided, I would not be where I am today without my support system. Although I am loving my experience at Rowan, I do not want this financial burden to fall on my Dad. I am confident that I will be a positive role-model for my future students, and with the help of the "Macmillan Learning Scholarship," I wish to alleviate some of the financial burden regarding my college expenses.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)