Media Matters: Jia Tolentino on "Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self Delusion"

ReneeTLC
Author
Author

I'm a fan of Jia Tolentino, such a smart writer and cultural critic. Her book Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self Delusion was the PBS January book club pick -- really fascinating ideas about the impact of social media. Here's a quick, five-minute interview with her that you might find intriguing. I couldn't help but imagine offering the link to kids and asking them to pick out one idea or comment that they found interesting because it surprised, challenged, supported, confused, upset ... them.

What do you think about Jia's remarks?  Anybody read the book or other work by her? (She's a Houston girl for the Texans out there!)

Thanks again for your generous participation, insights, and ideas during last week's PLC.  Robin and I found the discussion of feedback strategies -- including digital tools -- and thoughts about the new rubric both enjoyable and helpful. . 

Renee

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Sonia1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have not read anything by this author ... thanks for sharing this interview.  I find it interesting (refreshing?) that after noting President Trump's loss of power with his Twitter suspension, she points out that the power that Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey wield is actually so much more.  Reminds me of The Social Dilemma on Netflix.  I think students would surely have a lot to say on this topic - I am not sure I have a handle of where they would stand.  I see evidence of them being both privacy driven and also of nonchalance regarding the invasive role of these platforms in our lives.

0 Kudos

Media Matters: Jia Tolentino on "Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self Delusion"

ReneeTLC
Author
Author

I'm a fan of Jia Tolentino, such a smart writer and cultural critic. Her book Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self Delusion was the PBS January book club pick -- really fascinating ideas about the impact of social media. Here's a quick, five-minute interview with her that you might find intriguing. I couldn't help but imagine offering the link to kids and asking them to pick out one idea or comment that they found interesting because it surprised, challenged, supported, confused, upset ... them.

What do you think about Jia's remarks?  Anybody read the book or other work by her? (She's a Houston girl for the Texans out there!)

Thanks again for your generous participation, insights, and ideas during last week's PLC.  Robin and I found the discussion of feedback strategies -- including digital tools -- and thoughts about the new rubric both enjoyable and helpful. . 

Renee

Tags (1)
0 Kudos