Passing Discussion Questions

tiffani-tang
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here are some questions to consider/answer as we continue to discuss Passing at the next meeting. Feel free to drop some notes or your response to some or all of the questions below.

1. Why do you think Nella Larsen’s Passing is having a moment at this point in time?
  2. Pair another passage from Passing with a clip from the film in a way that promotes close reading. (You might look at this clip with Tessa Thompson reading a passage while the film plays.)
  3. How might you use the cover image for Passing (Lit & Comp 3e, p. 537 or see below) to encourage critical reading of and thinking about the novel?
  4. Why do you think Passing (the novel) is enjoying a moment at this point in time?
  5. Whatever you suggest to promote/encourage bringing the novel to your students (either for the exam or beyond)

Passing by Nella LarsenPassing by Nella Larsen

0 Kudos
15 Replies

AshleyGlickman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
  1. Why do you think Nella Larsen’s Passing is having a moment at this point in time?

Passing has this ability to apply to many situations, and I think sitting at home for two years provided a place and time for reflection.  Many people elected to live their truth after this reflection which has led to a lot of transitions for people.  This text also examines the ongoing struggle of people coming from the same place, yet growing up and into something completely different than the other parties.  Many families and friends experienced shifts in their relationships as a result of the pandemic and its side effects including isolation, broken relationships, opposing points of view, etc.  Black Lives Matter and the anti-racism movement have furthered supported people in exploring perspectives and ideas outside of their traditional bubbles

5.Whatever you suggest to promote/encourage bringing the novel to your students (either for the exam or beyond)

As I stated in our PLC, I was thinking about The Awakening and The Great Gatsby as I was reading this text.  I think both texts would allow for some crossover conversations. All three texts would provide for examinations regarding women's roles, perspectives, and expectations which could provide for an interesting analysis.   I would be interested in having the students close read sections in Passing and The Great Gatsby where Irene and Daisy refer to women being fools.  The conversation about the expectations that women have regarding other women as well as why this terminology would be prominent in both texts when the concepts are in some ways contradictory could provide for a rich analysis for point of view and context. Furthermore, the concept of Gatsby as passing could provide for some rich dialogue. I have read articles that Gatsby himself is passing which could provide some context for a few of Tom's remarks throughout the text.  Additionally, Gatsby is attempting to pass as a member of the elite West Egg and East Egg group, and students could enjoy examining the two texts from various critical literary lenses.

KatieMartin
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I read the novella for the first time for this PLC, and I found the first chapter to be quite confusing.  In my defense, I started reading just before bedtime (never a good idea).  However, I often find if I am confused by something, I can anticipate my students experiencing a similar confusion.  I also find that students are sometimes not very attentive to a text until they get to something that feels more like plot or action.  

Given this, I would consider setting up a close reading, specifically for the background information on Clare in Chapter One.  I would start with the third paragraph, “This, she reflected, was of a piece with all that she knew of Clare Kendry.”  I would then end with “And how deliberately she had–.”  As part of the task, I might write a Q2-style prompt to go with the passage, more for the sake of focusing the discussion than for them to actually write the essay.

ReneeTLC
Author
Author

Katie's experience getting into Passing is not unusual -- it's not exactly an exciting plot predictor! Her suggestion to isolate a passage and use it for close read makes perfect sense as a way to unpack and begin to predict what this novel will be about. Once we get a sense of these two woman, particularly how their past provides context for their current encounter, I think it moves along pretty clearly.  

I think of that beginning to Gatsby, such a beautiful opening to those of us who get it (or who've read it multiple times) -- Nick stepping out and telling us about this man who is both fascinating and unsettling, but what's it all about? Yet, once we spend some time with those two opening pages, there's so much to follow as we read on. 

LaurieS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1. Why do you think Nella Larsen’s Passing is having a moment at this point in time?

1. I think due to the push back against and the denial of racism, as well as the acrimonious fight against using “critical race theory” in education, people who know racism to be a reality feel a passion to show its evidence.  Passing allows the numerous nuances and pervasiveness of racism to be seen. And has always been the case, a story can allow people to step into the plot in a safe manner, perhaps allowing readers an opening to see the pieces of and effects of racism in a way that a non-fiction report would not allow.  This also provides a rich text for educators to use to address the issues of racism and expand out to cover numerous issues of “otherness” during such a politically polarized time.

ReneeTLC
Author
Author

Laurie, thanks for the new comment. The idea of "story" being a safe space to discuss controversial, even volatile issues broadens the discussion we're having in general  -- why reading fiction matters. Finding any safe spaces today is very appealing indeed. 

ReneeTLC
Author
Author

I am so impressed by the responses to the questions -- and particularly responses to the responses! Here are a couple of my thoughts and (of course!) more questions you might want to explore.

Thanks to Robin for the Americanah comments. Nice connection – and Adichie is such a glorious writer …

*  Brazil... As it turns out, I was also intrigued by Brian's interest in relocating to Brazil to live in a less racially charged society.  As it turns out, Larsen's interest in that country is a connection that has generated some research in the 21st century.  Here is a dissertation.

dissertation:  https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article...

There's also a long article that's 2021 article in The Baffler that opens with a response to the film of Passing and discusses the history of "passing" in Brazil and the U.S.

Passing for Racial Democracy by Stephanie Reist:  https://thebaffler.com/latest/passing-for-racial-democracy-reist

Beth, thanks so much for the resources. I'd be especially interested (and I bet others would as well) in seeing the AP Lit teacher's FB resources.

So here’s my question as I look at the comments in general about “imposters,” charisma, and Clare:

That comment about “charisma” … hmmm.  I wonder if an area to explore is whether we’re as drawn to Clare for her complexity, restlessness, boldness, energy, maybe even “spirit,” as Irene is. As readers, are we skeptical of her? Or enticed ? The word “feral” keeps coming up in articles about her.   And I wonder if Ruth Negga changes – enlarges – amplifies – complicates – our perception of Clare from the novel. In one of the interviews, Negga says that she wanted to show Clare’s  appetite and zest for life.  What other ways might we describe her?  Sometimes, I wonder if Clare is “passing” (which suggests a deliberateness) – or if she’s just searching (all the way out the window…)

Beth4
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I will email the teacher and confirm she is okay with my sharing her materials. I cannot imagine that she wouldn't but I wouldn't feel good about her seeing them out there. 

Renee's musings about Clare reminded me of yet another conversation we had about Irene and Clare as foils in the area of risk tolerance. Irene's upbringing seemed to encourage sensibility and security while Irene's was unpredictable and dangerous, which possibly could have created a spirit of recklessness, i.e. how far can I go in tempting danger without getting caught coupled with life is a game, and I have nothing to lose sentiment. Yes, she did care for her daughter, but her idea of caring was keeping her away possibly to minimize fallout from the sudden discovery of her race by Jack. The daring, flirty, seductive looks she "wields" with both men and women are captivating. The look she gives Irene before going through the window definitely is a "wink wink" look. 

ReneeTLC
Author
Author

I'm not sure I'm supposed to reply to myself ... lol!  But as I reread the comments, I kept coming back to Ed's suggestion:

"It would be interesting to have students use pictures from a magazine to build a picture of their own face. They can use different parts of multiple images of people to create who they really are. Students could even make one side of how they view themselves and one side of how they think other people view them."

I'm telling you -- if we had world enough and time, maybe we should each try this out on ourselves.  Maybe expand "magazines" to online images... Anyone game to do just that and share? Very creative idea. Volunteers?!

Beth4
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

someone used the word "wallpaper" which resonated to the point of fireworks in my brain! Such a powerful metaphor, actually simile. 

day
New Contributor
New Contributor

Questions 1 & 4: I think all of us struggle with our identity (racial, gender, religious, etc) in one way or another. I don't know that it ever ends. Even as an adult, this struggle continues. I think in today's societies, all across the globe (I don't think this is just an issue in the US) people are trying to figure out who they are. The color of our skin is just the wallpaper we wear.

That's why I think this novella is having the moment that it is right now. However, I think this type of writing has been done before with great success.

Question 2: I would probably choose to use the first part of the novella with the beginning of the movie to create some dialogue amongst students to then inspire some writing.

Question 3: The cover of the novella is unique as in the idea that a part of her is missing and needed to make her face complete. Is race or racial stereotypes the thing that we deal with on a daily basis that makes us feel incomplete or not whole? What can we do to put ourselves together? What makes us complete?

Question 5: I would find it interesting to use another novella, "Black Like Me," by John Howard Griffin to compare the two writings. Also, there was another experiment done before this book in the 1950's (I think) that was similar in nature.

EmilyWessel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

1. Why do you think Nella Larsen’s Passing is having a moment at this point in time?

I believe Passing is having a moment because of the weight of race in the country. People judge others and have biases (explicit or implicit) based on race. The idea of someone not being seen as their true self is something that many people find attractive. The desire to be who others want you to be makes people change and act differently. 

2. Pair another passage from Passing with a clip from the film in a way that promotes close reading. (You might look at this clip with Tessa Thompson reading a passage while the film plays.)

I love the first passage of the book. I think using that passage to discuss setting, tone, character, and to analyze narration would be very helpful. You can make sure students are understanding from the very beginning of the text, address vocabulary and language, and make predictions. 

3. How might you use the cover image for Passing (Lit & Comp 3e, p. 537 or see below) to encourage critical reading of and thinking about the novel?

The cover shows that people are constructed in pieces. There is no one solid picture. It would be interesting to have students use pictures from a magazine to build a picture of their own face. They can use different parts of multiple images of people to create who they really are. Students could even make one side of how they view themselves and one side of how they think other people view them.

5. Whatever you suggest to promote/encourage bringing the novel to your students (either for the exam or beyond).

It was helpful to hear in our discussion that the concept of "passing" can be discussed in terms of gender, sexuality, socioeconomic status, race, education, etc. My classroom lacks racial diversity but students can definitely relate to these other ways of "passing." I would approach the novel with this background and that we will view each character to see if they are not actually as they appear.

I just finished reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. The issue of race and how people view race in different countries is seen throughout the text. I would want to use a passage to pair with Passing. I also love the paired selections in the textbook. 

Beth4
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Resources that I used to teach the novella were: 

Norton edition - great articles resources, etc. 

McLendon's "Approaches to Teaching the Novels of Nella Larsen" - Steven Shively's article was particularly good regarding identity, etc. 

I used excerpts from The Personal Librarian by Benedict and Murray to provide insight into Clare. 

NPR's articles on code switching and passing were both informative.

The New Yorker's article on the same topic was also interesting. 

Info on the Rhinelander case including BU and UCLA's case law briefs were also fascinating. 

I did buy LitCharts' materials on the work for help with close read passages. 

A very generous teacher from AP Lit Facebook page shared her materials with me, which was also helpful. 

I also showed the CBS Sunday Morning clip on the director and her journey. Not to overstate the importance of this, but I do think she seized the moment to explore and seek understanding for something she was experiencing. This along with our country's profound search for identity seems to have prompted academic interest in the topic. 

Hope this will give a starting point for anyone considering including it in curricula - 

Beth  

RobinA
Author
Author

I think Americanah and Passing would make a great pairing. Americanah was published nearly 85 years after Passing, which would be a good starting point, and Passing, of course, doesn't have an international angle, the way Americanah does. Nevertheless, characters in Americanah "pass" in all kinds of ways as they try to figure out who they are. 

Beth4
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Some of my students wondered why Brazil, so they did an informal webquest to see what was going on that made it so attractive to Brian. Another student wondered why not an African or European country and presented information about post WWI that was troubling. 

I have the same class demographic, so my students talked about passing as straight when they are transgender or American when they hail from Bali. 

Another "blow my mind tangent" was charisma. Why was someone so quick to see lesbian factors rather than Clare as exceptionally charismatic? We talked about responding in different ways to an individual we found interesting or provocative in an intellectual way. If the work is seeking to examine identity, why would we be so quick to identify Irene's feelings as lesbian rather than admiration, curiosity, etc.? Their assertion, not mine. 

MJ56
New Contributor
New Contributor

I agree! I didn't realize there was a named "imposter syndrome" until we began discussing this book. It makes sense, as I'm sure we've all felt as if we were "passing" at some point in our lives. I'd love to create a mini unit including Passing, "Hearts and Hands," and "The Cry of the Children." I think the thematic unity would be fun to explore.