Benefits of Self-Regulated Learning

becky_anderson
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 1 1,223

In Achieve, we offer a series of Goal-Setting and Reflection Surveys that instructors can assign to students. What is the benefit of these surveys?  Here's a great response from one of our researchers at Macmillan Learning: 

Goal-setting and Reflection Surveys (GRS) are intended to promote self-regulated learning behaviors. GRS is foundational to life-long learning(1)

GRS occurs when students can regulate aspects of their thinking, motivation, and behavior during the learning process(2). In practice, this can look like:  

• Students setting their own achievement goals for the course or semester; 
  • Students selecting which study strategies they will use (e.g., time management, collaboration, self-testing); 
  • Students reflecting on their self-confidence and whether they are on- or off-track in terms of what they hope to achieve;
  • Students monitoring progress and revising study plans when necessary.

Applying GRS strategies in online learning environments has been shown to help students improve time management, metacognition(3), and engagement in course assessments(4). Overall, students who are more self-regulated tend to be more persistent and higher achieving(5; 6; 7)

Using Achieve, instructors can help students hone their self-regulation skills(5; 2; 8; 7)

References

1. Kurbanoglu, S. S. (2003). Self-efficacy: a concept closely linked to information literacy and lifelong learning. Journal of Documentation, 59(6), 635–646.
  2. Pintrich, P. R. & Zusho, A. (2002) Student motivation and self-regulated learning in the college classroom, in: J. C. Smart & W.G. Tierney (Eds) Higher Education: handbook of theory and research (pp. 55-128). Agathon Press.
  3. Broadbent, J., & Poon, W. (2015). Self-regulated learning strategies & academic achievement in online higher education learning environments: A systematic review. The Internet and Higher Education, 27, 1-13.
  4. Kizilcec, R. F., Perez-Sanagustín, M. & Maldonado, J. (2017). Self-regulated learning strategies predict learner behavior and goal attainment in Massive Open Online Courses. Computers & Education, 104, 18-33.
  5. Pintrich, P. R. (1995) Understanding self-regulated learning. Jossey-Bass.
  6. Robbins, S. B., Lauver, K., Le, H., Davis, D., Langley, R., & Carlstrom, A. (2004). Do psychological and study skill factors predict college outcome? Psychological Bulletin, 130, 261–288
  7. Zimmerman, B. J. & Schunk, D. H. (2001) Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: theoretical perspectives. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
  8. Schunk, D. H. (2005). Self-regulated learning: The educational legacy of Paul R. Pintrich. Educational Psychologist, 40(2), 85-94.
1 Comment
Azai
New Contributor
New Contributor

I might be in the wrong place. I'm a college grad. I'm 61. I'm studying linguistics on my own as part of my research to enable me to create languages for a 6-book fantasy series I have been plotting for 4 years. I recently purchased "Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction" by 4 authors  beginning with William O'Grady, last copywrited in 2010. As I read about the IPA codes for phonetic transcriptions, I was referred to your site for examples, but find none. Any advice?