Tax Game Activity

steven_huang
Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
2 15 1,969

Tax game

(simulation)

Students determine tax rates and analyze resulting income distribution. Requires internet access. [inequality, tax structure]

• With larger classes, can be used as an interactive lecture demonstration, or have students complete the simulation before class.

Tags (1)
15 Comments
Ajc

Was fun

Wesley_Svenson
New Contributor
New Contributor

This was a vey interesting assignment.  It wasn't too difficult to understand, but balancing without harming a volatile population that is already at the verge of homelessness is a risky task.  The American revolution was mainly sparked over a few poorly designed taxes.  What would happen if you did the same thing to an advanced population now.  Also, taking advantage of the rich is not fair either.  However, I do feel that if their wealth and success was earned in this country, they should be willing to give back and keep it flourishing.  Since I'm still in high school, and not a true taxpaying American, I needed to interview my parents to get a grasp of where our tax bracket was to estimate the rest. 

mig
New Contributor
New Contributor

Really interesting and I actually had to rethink a lot of my decisions.

caroline3
New Contributor
New Contributor

This was a very interesting lesson that made me evaluate decisions which I never thought twice about. 

Alissa1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Good assignment, mentioned topic scenarios I didn’t consider.

Evant13
New Contributor
New Contributor

It wasn’t an easy assignment but informational as it’s hard to find a middle ground to make all the classes of wealth satisfied with their taxation and such. There where topic I don’t remember reading over in the book and having to go over personally was helpful in understanding the assignment fully.

Jaylon
New Contributor
New Contributor

I enjoyed this assignment, it was very time consuming but worth all the task. In my opinion I had fun because I brought my parents into and asked questions and this assignment really opened my eyes to things and the components of tax. It was difficult but worth all the discussion.

History_1929
New Contributor
New Contributor

I thought this was a fun activity that helps you realize that importance of tax and where even 1% difference can shift millions of dollars. I think these kind of activities would be beneficial before and after starting an economics class so you can see how your overall awareness has improved.

-Nicholas Martinez

(not sure why its using my IG name)

GeorgiaB
New Contributor
New Contributor

This was an interesting activity it took me a while to get my tax rates to generate the total revenue required. The most difficult task for me was distributing fair tax cuts to different classes in the population.

David333
New Contributor
New Contributor

I enjoyed the game. Lowkey took it serious but overall learned a lot. It really helps you realizes how taxes work.

Cici
New Contributor
New Contributor

It really wasn't all too difficult, I took into account how actual people would feel about each tax. 

Cayden

I thought the assignment was great to understand how taxes work, and how money is generated for the government. It wasn't too difficult and was a great assignment overall. 

BenBurns

I thought this assignment was very cool. It allows you to set up on how you want your taxes are being set up for the whole nation.

-Ben Burns-

Trey1

This helped me put more sense onto the information presented in class; Mainly it was just a good visible indicator of what things like property tax actually look like. 

Gabriela1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Interesting game