Intentional acts of kindness

sue_frantz
Expert
Expert
1 1 2,153

Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation is promoting intentional acts of kindness this September (#BeKind21) with a goal toward better mental health for everyone. Every day, from September 1 to September 21, let’s engage in purposeful acts of kindness to others and ourselves. I encourage you and your students to sign up.  

Zara Abrams (2021) provides a nice summary of the research on kindness, emphasizing its benefits to both our physical and mental health. Even small acts, such as bringing a colleague coffee, counts. Buying me a beer also counts.

Without too much difficulty, we can tie acts of kindness into what students are learning in their Intro Psych course. Here are a few examples.

Biopsych chapter: Which neurotransmitters are most likely to be released in our brains when we do good deeds for others? Explain

Development chapter: What are developmentally-appropriate good deeds we could perform for each group: toddlers, middle-schoolers, high-schoolers, middle-aged adults, older adults? Explain.

Learning chapter: Identify at least three acts of kindness you have engaged in. Was your act positively reinforced? Explain.

Memory chapter: We tend to have stronger memories for events that are emotional. Based on the emotional reaction of those who were on the receiving end of your kindness, will any of your acts of kindness be remembered years from now by one of your recipients?

After September 21st, give your students an opportunity to reflect on their experience. What was especially good about engaging in intentional acts of kindness? Were there any surprises? Will they continue to be intentionally kind?

References

Abrams, Z. (2021, August). The case for kindness. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/news/apa/kindness-mental-health

1 Comment
Marianne89
New Contributor
New Contributor

What a great idea...I'm totally down with the idea of random acts of kindness. I'll be starting ASAP!