Nutrition and health websites list

jamiepopeauthor
0 0 714

At the end of last semester I decided to put together a list of all the health and nutrition related websites my students had visited as part of assignments and activities over the duration of the course.   One goal of my introductory nutrition course is to expose and acquaint students with the many and varied credible web-based resources available to them - that they visit during the course, but hopefully recall and make use of after the course.   These are integrated into weekly activities with specific questions that require accessing and engaging on the sites.   Many of my students are future health professionals so it is valuable, for example, to explore the NIH vitamin and mineral factsheets with quiz-based questions related to the Health Professional version of a fact sheet.   Or to visit the American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association, and the American Cancer Society to access disease risk tools or skim the nutrition resources available at these websites.   I was surprised at the number and variety of websites once I consolidated them on the attached!  I shared examples of how the websites are integrated into weekly assignments in a previous post from September 2020.   Let me know if you'd like an updated version at jamie.pope@vanderbilt.edu.   

About the Author
Jamie Pope, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Assistant Professor of Practice in Medicine, Health and Society at Vanderbilt University, has worked in the areas of obesity research, health promotion, heart disease prevention, and since 2000 teaching introductory nutrition. Beyond the classroom, she adapted portions of her nutrition courses to produce a Massive Open Online Course attracting more than 175,000 participants from around the world. This experience earned Jamie an Innovation in Teaching award from the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. She is the co-author of the textbook entitled Nutrition for a Changing World. Now in its second edition, the text is in use in over 140 universities across the U.S. and the recipient of a 2020 Textbook Excellence Award. Most recently she developed and produced an audio course for Learn25.com (Nutrition 101: Understanding the Science and Practice of Eating Well) that is also featured on platforms like Apple Books and Audible. Jamie holds a Master’s of Science degree in Nutrition and post graduate work in Health Psychology. She is a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She has authored or contributed to numerous scientific and popular press publications. Jamie also held several corporate positions, serving as nutrition consultant and media representative.