From Faculty Focus: Creating Pockets of Joy, Humor, & Positivity in Face-to-Face & Online Courses

jamiepopeauthor
0 2 3,517

As I think back over my 20 plus years of teaching introductory nutrition - usually to classes of 200 or more - the times we laughed together stand out.  Sometimes it was something I inadvertently said or did (some too embarrassing to share here!) or something a student shared (for example when asked about their childhood food "jags" one student share that his mom had to peel his hotdogs) or a humorous video that illustrated or added levity to a point or topic.  I loved seeing my students arrive in the classroom with a smile on their face - and to help maintain that smile.   I tried to not take myself too seriously, smile often (which isn't hard for me 😊), and tried to create a welcoming and warm environment to let my students know I loved and honored the privilege of teaching.  Humor not only engages students, but can reinforce learning and relationship.   I enjoyed the ideas shared by instructors and researchers in this Faculty Focus Live Podcast Creating Pockets of Joy, Humor, and Positivity in Your Face-to-Face and Online Class.  Would love to hear ways you make your students smile!   Use Reply below to let us know!  

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Reichert
New Contributor
New Contributor

We’re here to bring instructors and teachers inspiration, energy, and creative strategies that they can utilize in their everyday teaching. We hope the following tips, tricks, and pedagogy techniques give teachers and instructors an extra boost of creativity and motivation. These episodes are perfect for your drive to work or can be integrated as a 15-minute think session to get your wheels turning before stepping into the classroom or “zooming” onto the computer screen.

MyBalanceNow

jamiepopeauthor

A colleague shared this 3 minute video about "diets"....  funny.  😀  https://fb.watch/8_rfx7Z28F/