How to do a diet analysis project

jamiepopeauthor
1 0 1,755

New Spring Semester greetings! Hope the DGA resources shared in a previous post are helpful as you update and integrate the new guidelines into your course. As the new semester resumes the first project I assign is "Analyze My Diet".  Below is an excerpt from the project overview including an option for students for whom tracking of their daily intake is not appropriate.   I opt to have students track three days of intake using the attached log (by hand or on computer) before entering food and beverages into the AMD analysis tool through Launchpad. They upload their food logs and their AMD Combination Report for 25 of the 100 points. The remaining 75 points include 5 points for the tutorial and 5 points for each of the AMD activities (14 of these). If helpful, here's that excerpt and food record attached!  As always, feel free to reach out to me with questions or input - jamie.pope@vanderbilt.edu 

Project 1 Dietary monitoring and analysis project
For this Analyze My Diet (AMD) project, students will keep a three-day food intake record that tracks food and beverage intake as well as other factors that play a role in eating behavior and food choice. The first part of the project will utilize an online nutrient and dietary analysis program through Launchpad to analyze dietary composition of key nutrients and compare to established recommended standards. After completing a short tutorial and using reports generated from the analysis, students will then complete online activities through Launchpad online media.  Activity due dates align with coverage of topics addressed over the course of the semester.  Students will be graded on the assignment completion and correctness not the adequacy of their individual intake. Note: closely monitoring personal food intake may not be appropriate for some students; please contact Professor Pope to discuss confidential, alternative arrangements.

Tags (1)
About the Author
Jamie Pope, a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Assistant Professor of Practice in Medicine, Health and Society at Vanderbilt University, has worked in the areas of obesity research, health promotion, heart disease prevention, and since 2000 teaching introductory nutrition. Beyond the classroom, she adapted portions of her nutrition courses to produce a Massive Open Online Course attracting more than 175,000 participants from around the world. This experience earned Jamie an Innovation in Teaching award from the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. She is the co-author of the textbook entitled Nutrition for a Changing World. Now in its second edition, the text is in use in over 140 universities across the U.S. and the recipient of a 2020 Textbook Excellence Award. Most recently she developed and produced an audio course for Learn25.com (Nutrition 101: Understanding the Science and Practice of Eating Well) that is also featured on platforms like Apple Books and Audible. Jamie holds a Master’s of Science degree in Nutrition and post graduate work in Health Psychology. She is a Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She has authored or contributed to numerous scientific and popular press publications. Jamie also held several corporate positions, serving as nutrition consultant and media representative.