cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polly Zimmermann | Achieving More to Prep the Next Generation of Nurses

Macmillan Employee
Macmillan Employee
0 0 31
Polly Zimmermann Growing the next generation of nurses for their benefit and the good of society.
Growing the next generation of nurses for their benefit and the good of society.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

My name is Polly Gerber Zimmermann. I am a registered nurse. After 20 years of clinical practice, I started teaching student nurses 22 years ago. I had enjoyed providing small educational in-services to nurses at my job. After receiving my master’s degree in nursing, I made the leap into the full-time education of future nurses. Despite paying less than clinical nursing, I had a desire to help bring the next generation of nurses into the profession. The daily satisfaction is worth it. I want the same impact that my nursing educators had on me over 40 years ago. Many of my students are recent immigrants or the first from their family to attend college. It is a delight to help them prepare for and begin a new career, not just a job, that fulfills them and does good in society. Through various higher institutions of learning over the years, I have helped prepare students to give quality, safe care, along the “tricks of the trade” I had learned from my own practice. It is satisfying when graduates, now nurses, thank me for the influence I played in their educational process. It has come full circle when I, or my family members, now receive excellent nursing care from my former students.

Teaching at higher education enhances my ability to keep mentally challenged and up-to-date over with the field’s developing knowledge, trends, and issues. The opportunity to create is ever present. There are meaningful relationships with your students and colleagues., I look forward to each day I teach and the potential effect and influence I can have. Teaching in higher education lets me make a difference today and the years to come.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Tags (1)