Tiny Teaching Stories: My First Teacher

nancy_sommers
Author
Author
1 1 506

Today's Tiny Teaching Story is by Pamela Childers, a lifelong secondary, undergraduate and graduate school educator, writer, editor, and consultant. She enjoys collaborating with colleagues and students.

My First Teacher

Letitia, my Welsh Grammie, took me at three to the circus in Philadelphia, while Mother worked at a switchboard and Dad was still overseas after the war. She read me poetry and prose long after I had started teaching English and recited Shakespeare for the Princeton Women’s Club in her late seventies, an age I am close to reaching. When I last visited her in the dementia ward of the nursing home, she looked up at me from her wrinkled pillow, smiled and said, “I raised you, didn’t I?” I nodded, and we both shared an unforgotten memory.

Submit your own Tiny Teaching Story to tinyteachingstories@macmillan.com! See the Tiny Teaching Stories Launch for submission details and guidelines.

1 Comment
Lukefoster
New Contributor
New Contributor

Children of different ethnic or multi-ethnic or international adoptive families tend to struggle with their racial identity. Teachers need to listen to the ideas from child and be responsible for children of ethnic families or children of different families. Teachers must help the children in the form of development level to complete their own thoughts and feelings, help to find out each of the families with children use the term to describe their identity. Teachers should also help parents organize their thoughts and feelings, understand their names, and their children with his or her identity. Teachers could use the same terminology as possible at home. It is difficult for parents to understand their child 's physical characteristics. Parents should let these children know the difference between a family and an adoptive family. Then parents can help them in a similar way, helping children and families of race or race. In addition, parents can describe the differences racial when they read. Monkey Cool