Teaching Manuel Muñoz

barclay_barrios
0 0 168
Manuel Muñoz’s “Leave Your Name at the Border” is a short but potent piece that I love to teach.  Given the current tensions around our borders, it’s especially timely.  But I also love the ways in which it asks students to think about the risks and rewards of assimilation and acculturation.  It’s like Richard Rodriguez for a new millennium. I recently ran across a video that I think would be great to use while teaching Muñoz.  It’s about José Zamora, who had trouble finding a job until he changed the name on his resume to “Joe.”  Zamora dropped one letter and got a job.  His experience directly speaks to Muñoz’s discussion of the anglicization of Mexican names while underscoring the deep economic stakes in making those decisions. It’s a short video—perfect for class—and somehow hearing Zamora discuss his experiences makes it all more real.  It’s a great combo with Muñoz.  Give it a try. [embed width="450" height="360"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PR7SG2C7IVU[/embed]
About the Author
Barclay Barrios is an Associate Professor of English and Director of Writing Programs at Florida Atlantic University, where he teaches freshman composition and graduate courses in composition methodology and theory, rhetorics of the world wide web, and composing digital identities. He was Director of Instructional Technology at Rutgers University and currently serves on the board of Pedagogy. Barrios is a frequent presenter at professional conferences, and the author of Emerging.